Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- Proto-oncogene c-ErbB-2,
- MLN 19,
- Proto-oncogene Neu,
- v-erb-b2 avian erythroblastic leukemia viral oncogene homolog 2 (neuro/glioblastoma derived oncogene homolog),
- Tyrosine kinase-type cell surface receptor HER2,
- Receptor tyrosine-protein kinase erbB-2,
- Metastatic lymph node gene 19 protein,
- v-erb-b2 erythroblastic leukemia viral oncogene homolog 2, neuro/glioblastoma derived oncogene homolog (avian),
ERBB2, often known as HER-2/neu, a single-pass type I membrane protein, is a member of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor family of receptor tyrosine kinases. It is part of several cell surface receptor complexes. ERBB2 has no ligand binding domain of its own, and needs a coreceptor for ligand binding. Allelic variations at amino acid positions 654 and 655 of isoform a (positions 624 and 625 of isoform b) have been reported, with the most common allele Ile654/Ile655. There are several transcript variants resulting from alternative splicing events. Some isoforms have not been fully characterized yet.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
|QA State:||Under Review|
|QA State:||Under Review|
Amplification and/or overexpression of the ERBB2 gene has been reported in numerous cancers, including breast and ovarian tumors. Studies have suggested that ERBB2 overexpression represented a major negative prognostic indicator for patients with several human cancers, including endometrial carcinomas
Despite many promising new markers for ovarian cancer, CA125 remains the single best biomarker in the phase II and phase III specimens tested in this study.
- The State of Molecular Biomarkers for the Early Detection of Lung Cancer.
- Autoantibodies in lung cancer: possibilities for early detection and subsequent cure.
- Trastuzumab treatment in patients with advanced or recurrent endometrial carcinoma overexpressing HER2/neu.
- A framework for evaluating biomarkers for early detection: validation of biomarker panels for ovarian cancer.
- Ovarian cancer biomarker performance in prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial specimens.
- HGNC entry for human v-erb-b2 erythroblastic leukemia viral oncogene homolog 2, neuro/glioblastoma derived oncogene homolog (avian) ERBB2
- KEGG entry for human v-erb-b2 erythroblastic leukemia viral oncogene homolog 2, neuro/glioblastoma derived oncogene homolog (avian) ERBB2
- OMIM entry for ovarian cancer
- Protein RefSeq sequence for receptor tyrosine-protein kinase erbB-2 isoform a precursor [Homo sapiens]
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for P04626 (ERBB2_HUMAN)