Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan 2,
- versican proteoglycan,
- Glial hyaluronate-binding protein,
- versican core protein,
- Large fibroblast proteoglycan,
- Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan core protein 2,
VCAN, or CSPG2, a large chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan, is a major component of the extracellular matrix. This secreted protein is involved in cell adhesion, proliferation, migration and angiogenesis and plays a central role in tissue morphogenesis and maintenance. It is may play a role in intercellular signaling. Mutations in the CSPG2 gene are the cause of Wagner syndrome type 1. Multiple transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for this gene.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
|QA State:||Under Review|
VCAN (CSPG2) was shown to localize to vascular-like structures in ovarian cancer but not in normal ovaries.
VCAN, or CSPG2, was one of 13 genes out of 50 selected for further validation in PMID:21617380. Average expression of VCAN was significantly higher in epithelial ovarian cancer tumors than any other normal tissue tested.
- HGNC entry for VCAN from Genenames
- KEGG entry for VCAN from Genome.jp
- Entrez entry for VCAN all NCBI Databasese
- Human GEO Profiles for VCAN from NCBI GEO Profiles
- Human Geo Datasets containing term VCAN from NCBI GEO Datasets
- GWAS Study Datasets containing gene VCAN from GWAS
- Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms info for VCAN
- Human Gene(s) with 'VCAN' as Gene Name/Alias
- Human Gene RefSeq for VCAN from NCBI
- GeneCards entry for human VCAN
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for VCAN from Uniprot
- Human Protein RefSeq for VCAN from NCBI
- FDA web page describing approval of VCAN
|UniProt Accession #:||P13611|
|Mutated Sites Count:||1133|
|Associated Pubmed ID Count||43|
|Affected Protein Function Sites Count:||5|