Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- vascular cell adhesion molecule 1,
- serum vascular cell adhesion protein 1,
VCAM1, a single-pass type I membrane protein belonging to the Ig superfamily, is a cell surface sialoglycoprotein expressed by cytokine-activated endothelium. It mediates leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesion and signal transduction. VCAM1 interacts with the beta-1 integrin VLA4 on leukocytes, and mediates both adhesion and signal transduction. The VCAM1/VLA4 interaction may play a pathophysiologic role both in immune responses and in leukocyte emigration to sites of inflammation. VCAM1 may play a role in the development of artherosclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis. VCAM1 is expressed on inflamed vascular endothelium, as well as on macrophage-like and dendritic cell types in both normal and inflammed tissue.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
No additional data available.
Ninety biomarkers were measured using a series of multiplexed immunoassays and results analyzed by the EDRN data management center splitting the cases and controls into training and validation sets, excluding subjects with DCIS or atypical hyperplasia from the training phase. We found little evidence that any of these markers can discriminate women with invasive cancer from those with benign breast conditions.
VCAM1 alone was not a strong predictor of ovarian cancer.
Of the 28 ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. VCAM1 alone was not a strong predictor.
No associated publications found.
- HGNC entry for VCAM1 from Genenames
- KEGG entry for VCAM1 from Genome.jp
- Entrez entry for VCAM1 all NCBI Databasese
- Human GEO Profiles for VCAM1 from NCBI GEO Profiles
- Human Geo Datasets containing term VCAM1 from NCBI GEO Datasets
- GWAS Study Datasets containing gene VCAM1 from GWAS
- Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms info for VCAM1
- Human Gene(s) with 'VCAM1' as Gene Name/Alias
- Human Gene RefSeq for VCAM1 from NCBI
- GeneCards entry for human VCAM1
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for VCAM1 from Uniprot
- Human Protein RefSeq for VCAM1 from NCBI
- FDA web page describing approval of VCAM1
No other associated resources found.
|UniProt Accession #:||P19320|
|Mutated Sites Count:||330|
|Associated Pubmed ID Count||21|
|Affected Protein Function Sites Count:||5|