Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- osteoblast-specific factor 1,
- heparin-binding brain mitogen,
- heparin-binding growth-associated molecule,
- heparin-binding growth factor 8,
- Heparin-binding growth-associated molecule,
- heparin-binding neurite outgrowth-promoting factor 1,
- neurite growth-promoting factor 1,
- Heparin-binding growth factor 8,
- heparin affin regulatory protein,
- Heparin-binding neurite outgrowth-promoting factor 1,
- Osteoblast-specific factor 1,
- Heparin-binding brain mitogen,
- pleiotrophin (heparin binding growth factor 8, neurite growth-promoting factor 1),
- heparin binding growth factor 8,
Pleiotrophin, or PTN, is a secreted growth factor found in osteoblasts and brain tissue. PTN induces neurite outgrowth and is mitogenic for fibroblasts, epithelial, and endothelial cells. It binds anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) which induces MAPK pathway activation, an important step in the anti-apoptotic signaling of PTN and regulation of cell proliferation.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
Pleiotrophin has been identified in serum and lung cancer tissue or cell culture as a candidate lung cancer biomarker. Pleiotrophin was also observed up-regulated in lung cancer in this study. Others studies have suggested that pleiotrophin may be an early indicator of lung cancer and might be of use in monitoring the efficacy of therapy.
PTN, also known as pleiotrophin, is a member of a 12 protein panel that can discriminate NSCLC from controls with 91% sensitivity and 84% specificity in cross-validated training and 89% sensitivity and 83% specificity in a separate verification set, with similar performance for early and late stage NSCLC.
- HGNC entry for PTN from Genenames
- KEGG entry for PTN from Genome.jp
- Entrez entry for PTN all NCBI Databasese
- Human GEO Profiles for PTN from NCBI GEO Profiles
- Human Geo Datasets containing term PTN from NCBI GEO Datasets
- GWAS Study Datasets containing gene PTN from GWAS
- Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms info for PTN
- Human Gene(s) with 'PTN' as Gene Name/Alias
- Human Gene RefSeq for PTN from NCBI
- GeneCards entry for human PTN
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for PTN from Uniprot
- Human Protein RefSeq for PTN from NCBI
- FDA web page describing approval of PTN
No other associated resources found.
|UniProt Accession #:||P21246|
|Mutated Sites Count:||40|
|Associated Pubmed ID Count||12|
|Affected Protein Function Sites Count:||4|