Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- Nel-related protein 1,
- NEL-like protein 1,
- Protein kinase C-binding protein NELL1,
- nel-like 1,
NELL1 is a cytoplasmic protein that contains epidermal growth factor (EGF)-like repeats. The encoded heterotrimeric protein may be involved in cell growth regulation and differentiation.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
Esphageal adenocarcinoma risk in Barrett's esophagus is increased 30- to 125- fold versus the general population. Among all Barrett's esophagus patients neoplastic progression occurs only once per 200 patient-years. Molecular markers (individual or in panel) would be useful to risk-stratify patients for more efficient surveillance endoscopy and to improve the early detection of progression.
Promoter hypermethylation of NELL1 occurs early during Barrett's-associated esophageal neoplastic progression, and is a potential biomarker of poor prognosis in early-stage esophageal adenocarcinoma. Studies are ongoing.
Supporting Study Data
The following studies/protocols provide evidence supporting NELL1 indications for the Esophagus…
Barrett's Esophagus Methylation Profiles
We propose a nested case-control study of biomarkers in the setting of BE. By bringing together research institutions with large populations of patients with BE, we will perform a multi-center study of FISH and hypermethylation markers as possible prognostic factors in BE. The centers will select from their cohorts who have progressed to HGD or to adenocarcinoma of the esophagus ("progressors"), and who also donated samples prior to the development of cancer, when their histology was felt to be benign. These subjects will be compared to individuals who have been under endoscopic surveillance, but who have not progressed to HGD or EAC ("non-progressors"). Using this approach, we hope to identify promising markers for risk stratification in BE. We expect to be able to make successful application for a prospective study of markers identified in this case-control study.View more about this study
Biomarker Characteristics Summary
|Notes||Sensitivity||Specificity||Prevalence||NPV||PPV||Specific Assay Type|
|Assessment of the classification accuracy of a single marker using ROC curve analyses show AUC for HPP1, p16, and RUNX3 are all significantly greater than 0.50. For NELL1, AUC (95% confidence interval) was 0.516 (0.420, 0.611).||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Additional Study-Specific Protocols
- Hypermethylation of the nel-like 1 gene is a common and early event and is associated with poor prognosis in early-stage esophageal adenocarcinoma.
No study-specific resources defined.
No organ-specific protocols defined.
No organ-specific publications defined.
No organ-specific resources defined.
- HGNC entry for NELL1 from Genenames
- KEGG entry for NELL1 from Genome.jp
- Entrez entry for NELL1 all NCBI Databasese
- Human GEO Profiles for NELL1 from NCBI GEO Profiles
- Human Geo Datasets containing term NELL1 from NCBI GEO Datasets
- GWAS Study Datasets containing gene NELL1 from GWAS
- Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms info for NELL1
- Human Gene(s) with 'NELL1' as Gene Name/Alias
- Human Gene RefSeq for NELL1 from NCBI
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for NELL1 from Uniprot
- Human Protein RefSeq for NELL1 from NCBI
- FDA web page describing approval of NELL1
|UniProt Accession #:||Q92832|
|Mutated Sites Count:||532|
|Associated Pubmed ID Count||22|
|Affected Protein Function Sites Count:||5|