Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- Glycosylation-inhibiting factor,
- macrophage migration inhibitory factor (glycosylation-inhibiting factor),
- L-dopachrome tautomerase,
- L-dopachrome isomerase,
- macrophage migration inhibitory factor,
- phenylpyruvate tautomerase,
MIF, a lymphokine involved in cell-mediated immunity, immunoregulation, and inflammation, plays a role in the regulation of macrophage function in host defense through the suppression of anti-inflammatory effects of glucocorticoids. This lymphokine and the JAB1 protein form a complex in the cytosol near the peripheral plasma membrane, which may indicate an additional role in integrin signaling pathways. MIF is also closely related to tumorigenesis.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
|QA State:||Under Review|
Reports have demonstrated that MIF expression is increased in premalignant, malignant, and metastatic tumors and a potential therapeutic target in NSCLC.
MIF belongs to a 9-member panel that provides a quantitative measure of the probability of having lung cancer that goes beyond the histological evaluation of preinvasive lesions. The identified members of the panel are TMSB4X (Thymosin beta-4), Ubiquitin, des-ubiquitin, ACBP, CSTA, Cytochrome C, and MIF.
MIF RNAi significantly inhibited MIF expression in HO-8910 and OVCAR-3 cells and decreased cell proliferation of the two cells (P<0.05). Positive expression of MIF protein was detected in 53.5% of ovarian carcinoma tissues and was positively correlated to clinical stages of patients (P<0.01).
Of the 28 ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. MIF alone was not a strong predictor.
- HGNC entry for MIF from Genenames
- KEGG entry for MIF from Genome.jp
- Entrez entry for MIF all NCBI Databasese
- Human GEO Profiles for MIF from NCBI GEO Profiles
- Human Geo Datasets containing term MIF from NCBI GEO Datasets
- GWAS Study Datasets containing gene MIF from GWAS
- Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms info for MIF
- Human Gene(s) with 'MIF' as Gene Name/Alias
- Human Gene RefSeq for MIF from NCBI
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for MIF from Uniprot
- Human Protein RefSeq for MIF from NCBI
- FDA web page describing approval of MIF
No other associated resources found.
|UniProt Accession #:||P14174|
|Mutated Sites Count:||6|
|Associated Pubmed ID Count||0|
|Affected Protein Function Sites Count:||4|