Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- breast and ovarian cancer sususceptibility protein 1,
- protein phosphatase 1, regulatory subunit 53,
- breast cancer 1, early onset,
- EC 6.3.2.-,
- breast cancer type 1 susceptibility protein,
- BRCA1/BRCA2-containing complex, subunit 1,
- breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility protein 1,
- RING finger protein 53,
BRCA1 is a nuclear phosphoprotein that functions as a tumor suppressor. BRCA1 combines with other tumor suppressors, DNA damage sensors, and signal transducers to form a large multi-subunit protein complex known as the BRCA1-associated genome surveillance complex (BASC). BRCA1 associates with RNA polymerase II, and through the C-terminal domain, also interacts with histone deacetylase complexes. This protein thus plays a role in transcription, DNA repair of double-stranded breaks, and recombination. Mutations in this gene are responsible for approximately 40% of inherited breast cancers and more than 80% of inherited breast and ovarian cancers.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
|QA State:||Under Review|
BRCA1 is expressed in breast tissue and has been shown to be overexpressed in cancer.
BRCA1 was one of numerous potential early detection biomarkers specific to triple-negative breast cancer in multiple pathways identified.
- HGNC entry for BRCA1 from Genenames
- KEGG entry for BRCA1 from Genome.jp
- Entrez entry for BRCA1 all NCBI Databasese
- Human GEO Profiles for BRCA1 from NCBI GEO Profiles
- Human Geo Datasets containing term BRCA1 from NCBI GEO Datasets
- GWAS Study Datasets containing gene BRCA1 from GWAS
- Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms info for BRCA1
- Human Gene(s) with 'BRCA1' as Gene Name/Alias
- Human Gene RefSeq for BRCA1 from NCBI
- GeneCards entry for human BRCA1
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for BRCA1 from Uniprot
- Human Protein RefSeq for BRCA1 from NCBI
- FDA web page describing approval of BRCA1
|UniProt Accession #:||P38398|
|Mutated Sites Count:||1|
|Associated Pubmed ID Count||1|
|Affected Protein Function Sites Count:||1|