Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor (antileukoproteinase),
- secretory leukocyte peptidase inhibitor,
- Mucus proteinase inhibitor,
- WAP four-disulfide core domain protein 4,
- Seminal proteinase inhibitor,
SLPI is a secreted inhibitor which protects epithelial tissues from serine proteases. It is found in various secretions including seminal plasma, cervical mucus, and bronchial secretions, and has affinity for trypsin, leukocyte elastase, and cathepsin G. Its inhibitory effect contributes to the immune response by protecting epithelial surfaces from attack by endogenous proteolytic enzymes; the protein is also thought to have broad-spectrum anti-biotic activity.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.