Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- IGF-binding protein 2,
- Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 2,
IGF-binding proteins prolong the half-life of the IGFs and have been shown to either inhibit or stimulate the growth promoting effects of the IGFs on cell culture. They alter the interaction of IGFs with their cell surface receptors. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 (IGFBP2) is overexpressed in ovarian malignant tissues and in the serum and cystic fluid of ovarian cancer patients, suggesting an important role of IGFBP2 in the biology of ovarian cancer.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 (IGFBP2), the second most abundant IGFBP in the circulation, is overexpressed in ovarian malignant tissues and in the serum and cystic fluid of ovarian cancer patients. IGFBP2 has been shown to enhance the invasion capacity of ovarian cancer cells. Treatment of NIH-OVCAR3 human epithelial ovarian cancer cells with IGFBP-2 stimulates cell growth significantly (p<.05) and potentiates the activation of (1) the extracellular signal regulated kinase (ERK1/2) signaling pathway, which transduces cell-specific growth and differentiation signals; (2) the stress-activated protein kinases/c-Jun N-terminal kinases (SAPK/JNK) pathway, which is activated by environmental stresses, inflammatory cytokines, growth factors and G-protein coupled receptor (GPCR) agonists; and (3) the p38 MAP kinase pathway, which mediates inflammatory and stress responses. Suppression of IGFBP-2, with its neutralizing antibody, significantly (p<.05) retards cell growth, blocks the activation of all three cascades of the MAPK pathways and downregulates the expression of a number of potential cancer-promoting cytokines.
Of the 28 ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. IGFBP2 alone was not a strong predictor.
- A framework for evaluating biomarkers for early detection: validation of biomarker panels for ovarian cancer.
- Ovarian cancer biomarker performance in prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial specimens.
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 promotes ovarian cancer cell invasion.
- Entrez Protein Reference Sequence for human insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 2 precursor IGFBP2
- HGNC entry for human insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 IGFBP2
- KEGG entry 3485 for human insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 IGFBP2
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for P18065 (IBP2_HUMAN)