Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- Lectin-bound alpha-fetoprotein,
- lectin-bound AFP,
AFP-L3, also known as lectin-bound AFP, is an isoform of AFP, a major plasma protein produced by the yolk sac and the liver during fetal life. Alpha-fetoprotein expression in adults is often associated with hepatoma or teratoma. The L3 isoform is specific to malignant tumors and its detected presence may serve to identify patients who could benefit from monitoring for the development of HCC in high risk populations (i.e. chronic hepatitis, liver cirrhosis).
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
Since 90% of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) have underlying cirrhosis, patients with cirrhosis are candidates for HCC surveillance. Despite advances in medical technology, the 5-year survival of patients with HCC has improved minimally from 2% to 5% from 1981 to 1998. This may be largely due to diagnosis at late stage disease. These studies aim to compare the performance characteristics of the biomarkers AFP, DCP (des-gamma carboxyprothrombin) and AFP-L3 (lectin-bound AFP) in the early diagnosis of HCC.
AFP-L3 has been approved by the FDA as a component of lab test to diagnose the risk of developing liver cancer in patients with chronic liver disease (CLD). The test measures levels of both AFP-L3 and AFP in the blood, and calculates AFP-L3 levels as a percentage of total AFP. Higher levels of AFP-L3 are associated with higher risk of developing liver cancer. According to the FDA, if the percentage of AFP-L3 is greater or equal to 10%, the risk is seven-fold that the patient will develop liver cancer in the next 21 months.
- Alpha-fetoprotein, des-gamma carboxyprothrombin, and lectin-bound alpha-fetoprotein in early hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma may impair the performance of biomarkers: a comparison of AFP, DCP, and AFP-L3.
- AFP-L3: a new generation of tumor marker for hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Serum tumor markers for detection of hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Des-gamma-carboxyprothrombin, alpha-fetoprotein and AFP-L3 in patients with chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma.
- FDA web page describing approval of AFP-L3
- GeneCards entry for human AFP, of which AFP-L3 is an isoform
- HGNC entry 317 for AFP, human alpha-fetoprotein, of which AFP-L3 is an isoform
- Protein RefSeq sequence for human AFP, of which AFP-L3 is an isoform
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry P02771 human alpha-fetoprotein, of which AFP-L3 is an isoform