Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- macrophage-derived growth factor,
- small inducible cytokine B7,
- low-affinity platelet factor IV,
- leukocyte-derived growth factor,
- neutrophil-activating peptide-2,
- CXC chemokine ligand 7,
- thrombocidin 2,
- small inducible cytokine subfamily B, member 7,
- platelet basic protein,
- pro-platelet basic protein,
- neutrophil-activating peptide 2,
- thrombocidin 1,
- thromboglobulin, beta-1,
- pro-platelet basic protein (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 7),
- connective tissue-activating peptide III,
CTAP-III (officially named PPBP) is a platelet-derived growth factor that belongs to the CXC chemokine family. This growth factor is a potent chemoattractant and activator of neutrophils. It has been shown to stimulate various cellular processes including DNA synthesis, mitosis, glycolysis, intracellular cAMP accumulation, prostaglandin E2 secretion, and sythesis of hyaluronic acid and sulfated glycosaminoglycan. It also stimulates the formation and secretion of plasminogen activator by synovial cells.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
CTAP-III was identified to be significantly higher in venous than in arterial blood. CTAP III levels decreased after lung tumor resection (P = .01). In two independent population cohorts, CTAP III was significantly associated with lung cancer. CTAP-III may also modify breast cancer cells and surrounding extracellular matrix to facilitate metastasis. In contrast to earlier findings from analyzes of postdiagnostically collected sera, the addition of 7 biomarkers (apolipoprotein A1 (APOA1), truncated transthyretin (TTR), transferrin (TF), hepcidin (HAMP), ÃƒÅ½Ã‚Â²-2 microglobulin B2M), connective tissue activating protein III (CTAPIII, a.k.a PPBP) to CA 125 did not improve sensitivity for preclinical diagnosis of ovarian cancer beyond CA 125 alone.
Of the 28 ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. CTAP-III, also known as PPBP, alone was not a strong predictor.
- HGNC entry for human pro-platelet basic protein (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 7) PPBP
- KEGG entry for human pro-platelet basic protein (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 7) PPBP
- Protein Reference Sequence for platelet basic protein preproprotein [Homo sapiens]
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for P02775 (CXCL7_HUMAN)