Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- CXC chemokine ligand 7,
- thromboglobulin, beta-1,
- low-affinity platelet factor IV,
- pro-platelet basic protein,
- pro-platelet basic protein (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 7),
- macrophage-derived growth factor,
- small inducible cytokine B7,
- neutrophil-activating peptide-2,
- leukocyte-derived growth factor,
- connective tissue-activating peptide III,
- thrombocidin 2,
- thrombocidin 1,
- neutrophil-activating peptide 2,
- platelet basic protein,
- small inducible cytokine subfamily B, member 7,
CTAP-III (officially named PPBP) is a platelet-derived growth factor that belongs to the CXC chemokine family. This growth factor is a potent chemoattractant and activator of neutrophils. It has been shown to stimulate various cellular processes including DNA synthesis, mitosis, glycolysis, intracellular cAMP accumulation, prostaglandin E2 secretion, and sythesis of hyaluronic acid and sulfated glycosaminoglycan. It also stimulates the formation and secretion of plasminogen activator by synovial cells.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
CTAP-III was identified to be significantly higher in venous than in arterial blood. CTAP III levels decreased after lung tumor resection (P = .01). In two independent population cohorts, CTAP III was significantly associated with lung cancer. CTAP-III may also modify breast cancer cells and surrounding extracellular matrix to facilitate metastasis. In contrast to earlier findings from analyzes of postdiagnostically collected sera, the addition of 7 biomarkers (apolipoprotein A1 (APOA1), truncated transthyretin (TTR), transferrin (TF), hepcidin (HAMP), ÃƒÅ½Ã‚Â²-2 microglobulin B2M), connective tissue activating protein III (CTAPIII, a.k.a PPBP) to CA 125 did not improve sensitivity for preclinical diagnosis of ovarian cancer beyond CA 125 alone.
Of the 28 ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. CTAP-III, also known as PPBP, alone was not a strong predictor.
- A framework for evaluating biomarkers for early detection: validation of biomarker panels for ovarian cancer.
- Ovarian cancer biomarker performance in prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial specimens.
- Proteomic biomarkers in combination with CA 125 for detection of epithelial ovarian cancer using prediagnostic serum samples from the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial.
- HGNC entry for human pro-platelet basic protein (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 7) PPBP
- KEGG entry for human pro-platelet basic protein (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 7) PPBP
- Protein Reference Sequence for platelet basic protein preproprotein [Homo sapiens]
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for P02775 (CXCL7_HUMAN)