Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- neutrophil gelatinase,
- collagenase type IV-A,
- matrix metalloproteinase-II,
- Gelatinase A,
- matrix metalloproteinase 2 (gelatinase A, 72kDa gelatinase, 72kDa type IV collagenase),
- 72 kDa gelatinase,
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2,
- matrix metallopeptidase 2 (gelatinase A, 72kDa gelatinase, 72kDa type IV collagenase),
- EC 18.104.22.168,
- 72 kDa type IV collagenase,
MMP2 is a member of the matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) family and is involved in many functions, such as remodeling of the vasculature, angiogenesis, tissue repair and remodeling, tumor invasion, inflammation, atherosclerotic plaque rupture, reproduction and embryonic development, as well as in disease processes such as arthritis and metastasis. In addition to degrading extracellular matrix proteins, MMP2 can also act on several nonmatrix proteins such as big endothelial 1 and beta-type CGRP promoting vasoconstriction and appears to have a role in myocardial cell death pathways. MMPs are generally secreted as inactive proproteins which are activated when cleaved by extracellular proteinases. The MMP2 protein degrades gelatin type I and collagen types IV, V, VII, and X. MMP2 gene mutations have been associated with Winchester syndrome and Nodulosis-Arthropathy-Osteolysis (NAO) syndrome. There are two known isoforms of this gene, encoded by two transcript variants.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
MMP2 alone was not shown to be a strong predictor of ovarian cancer.
Of the ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. MMP2 alone was not a strong predictor.
No associated publications found.
- Entrez Protein Reference Sequence for 72 kDa type IV collagenase isoform a preproprotein [Homo sapiens]
- HGNC entry for human matrix metallopeptidase 2 (gelatinase A, 72kDa gelatinase, 72kDa type IV collagenase) MMP2
- KEGG entry for human matrix metallopeptidase 2 (gelatinase A, 72kDa gelatinase, 72kDa type IV collagenase) MMP2
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry for P08253 (MMP2_HUMAN)