Aliases:This biomarker is also known as:
- Glycosylation-inhibiting factor,
- phenylpyruvate tautomerase,
- macrophage migration inhibitory factor,
- L-dopachrome tautomerase,
- macrophage migration inhibitory factor (glycosylation-inhibiting factor),
- L-dopachrome isomerase,
MIF, a lymphokine involved in cell-mediated immunity, immunoregulation, and inflammation, plays a role in the regulation of macrophage function in host defense through the suppression of anti-inflammatory effects of glucocorticoids. This lymphokine and the JAB1 protein form a complex in the cytosol near the peripheral plasma membrane, which may indicate an additional role in integrin signaling pathways. MIF is also closely related to tumorigenesis.
There are no datasets associated with this biomarker.
The following organs have data associated with this biomarker…
|QA State:||Under Review|
Reports have demonstrated that MIF expression is increased in premalignant, malignant, and metastatic tumors and a potential therapeutic target in NSCLC.
MIF belongs to a 9-member panel that provides a quantitative measure of the probability of having lung cancer that goes beyond the histological evaluation of preinvasive lesions. The identified members of the panel are TMSB4X (Thymosin beta-4), Ubiquitin, des-ubiquitin, ACBP, CSTA, Cytochrome C, and MIF.
MIF RNAi significantly inhibited MIF expression in HO-8910 and OVCAR-3 cells and decreased cell proliferation of the two cells (P<0.05). Positive expression of MIF protein was detected in 53.5% of ovarian carcinoma tissues and was positively correlated to clinical stages of patients (P<0.01).
Of the 28 ovarian cancer biomarkers tested in prediagnostic specimens, from the PLCO, CA125 remains the single best biomarker for ovarian cancer and has its strongest signal within six months of diagnosis. MIF alone was not a strong predictor.
- The State of Molecular Biomarkers for the Early Detection of Lung Cancer.
- Lung cancer diagnosis from proteomic analysis of preinvasive lesions.
- A framework for evaluating biomarkers for early detection: validation of biomarker panels for ovarian cancer.
- Ovarian cancer biomarker performance in prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial specimens.
- Entrez Protein Reference Sequence for macrophage migration inhibitory factor [Homo sapiens]
- HGNC entry for macrophage migration inhibitory factor (glycosylation-inhibiting factor) MIF
- KEGG entry 4282 for human macrophage migration inhibitory factor (glycosylation-inhibiting factor) MIF
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entry P14174 for MIF_HUMAN